A marble basin under the stars: this was Gabriele D’Annunzio’s dream for his Parlaggio, the Vittoriale Amphitheatre. A wish that came true in 2020, thanks to the Region of Lombardy, the Il Vittoriale degli Italiani Foundation and 1,500 m2 of Margraf Rosso Verona marble.
The Parlaggio, which D’Annunzio envisioned as the ideal venue for performing his plays, is located in the splendid setting of the Vittoriale in Gardone Riviera, in a scenic area of the Park from which one can admire Isola del Garda, Monte Baldo, the Sirmione peninsula and the evocative Rocca di Manerba.
The poet entrusted the design of the theatre, which was to take its inspiration from the Roman amphitheatre of Pompeii, the oldest in the world, to Gian Carlo Maroni, architect of the Vittoriale. Work began between 1934 and 1935 but was soon interrupted due to financial difficulties, further aggravated by the death of the Poet and the outbreak of war. The Foundation resumed work in 1952 and on 8 August 1953, the Amphitheatre was solemnly inaugurated with a concert by the Teatro alla Scala Orchestra, but it was not the “perfect theatre” envisaged by D’Annunzio: the steps and stalls were made of concrete.
Today, the Vittoriale Amphitheatre has reacquired the splendour of its original design thanks to a Rosso Verona marble with rough finish, used in place of concrete to cover the steps of the staircase and the stalls.
Location: Gardone Riviera, Brescia, Italy
Customer: Region of Lombardy, Il Vittoriale degli Italiani Foundation
Project: Arch. Giancarlo Maroni
Quantity: 1,500 m2 of Margraf Rosso Verona marble